Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Right Paths






This is some footage that I took of a Palestinian Shepherd and his flock at Tel Lakhish near Beersheba in southern Palestine.

I was reminded (as I'm sure all of our pilgrims were) of the Shepherd's Psalm --- 23.

I particularly thought of "He leads me in paths of Righteousness for His name's sake."

Righteousness is a very religious term, it seems to me, but the true meaning of the word comes out in this Psalm about shepherds and sheep. The psalmist is merely saying that the shepherd leads his sheep in the right paths. Leads them where they need to go, where they ought to go. Where HE wants them to go.

Isn't it obvious from watching this video that the "right" path is not always the easy path or the straight path or the shortest path or the path that I would have chosen myself?

I walked down this very same hill myself --- but I came down the gravel road which sloped gently and easily to the bottom. I would never have chosen to march down the treacherous face of the back side of this incline.

And if you will notice in the video --- there IS a path coming down the side that the sheep are being led --- the shepherd (for his own reason) doesn't even use THAT! It's someone else's path, obviously.

I didn't stop the shepherd and ask him why he chose to bring his flock down the way that he did. I was curious but I didn't figure that it was any of my business.

I'm trying to learn not to question my own Shepherd about the paths that He chooses for me. That's not any of my business either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was shot at Lachesh