Friday, May 9, 2008

An Ibex Scheme of Things




This is an Ibex.

It's a small mountain goat whose native land is northern Africa. They have migrated into Eurasia over centuries --- I photographed this one in the Negev region of Israel in 2008.



In biblical times they were very populous in the lower, mountainous regions of the land of Israel but have become endangered as a species in the last few years. Conservation efforts have revived the numbers and it is becoming more common to spot them.

The Ibex is mentioned in scripture as the "wild goat." Deuteronomy 14:5 Psalm 104:18 I Samuel 24:2 Job 39:1

The interesting thing about the Ibex, however is not its biblical reference --- but it's modern day role in earth conservation. Not it's own conservation, but the conservation of the acacia tree in southern Israel.

Acacia wood was used to compose the wooden articles of the desert Tabernacle of God. It was a wood native to northern Africa and in the desert regions that the Israelites passed through on their Exodus from Egypt.

In the latter part of the 20th century Israeli conservationists began transplanting the acacia tree into the regions of the Negev. The temperature and climate and general conditions seemed ideal for this area. 1000's of trees were planted --- but the initial planting failed to thrive.

The problem was discovered. There is a symbiotic relationship between the Ibex and the acacia tree. Without the Ibex --- the acacia trees cannot grow healthily, thrive and reproduce in the Negev. This is God's scheme of things for these particular expressions of His creation.

You see, in order for the acacia tree seeds to properly germinate they have to be eaten and partially digested by the Ibex. When the Ibex defecates many of the acacia seeds that it has ingested are expelled unharmed --- but not without being effected by the digestive enzymes in the animal's colon. The expelled seeds, in fact, are perfectly prepared to fall into the soil and take root for a strong and healthy acacia tree.

If you want the beauty, the shade, the wood and all of the benefits of the acacia tree ---- you are going to have to include the Ibex in the plan. You can't have one without the other.

In John 24:12 Jesus said that the only way that a grain of wheat could grow was for it to die and be placed in the ground. Before fruitfulness could come there had to be preparation --- a process. He was telling his disciples that he was going to have to die before God could empower his Plan to save mankind.

He was also teaching His disciples that they, too, would have to endure difficult preparation, shaping, changing and growth before they could be fruitful, helpful, productive, or successful in their life's purpose.

I thought of this verse immediately when I learned about God's scheme for the Ibex and the acacia tree.

This illustration is a little more base or crude than Jesus' metaphor --- but, forgive me --- there have been many times in my life when I feel that God has applied the Ibex scheme of things to me and my life. And I have not always understood it, appreciated it or accepted it.

Proverbs 14:4 says, "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox." As Brother Dave Gardner would say, "Let me cut this up for you." You can make a very good living with a good strong Ox --- but don't expect the Ox crib to be clean and smell like roses!

I have expected a fruitful life and ministry --- one of "increase," growth and success --- but I have been unhappy because of the stink, the smell, the waste and refuse, the dirtiness and unpleasantness that is often required as a part of the process to those ends (pardon the pun!).

I'm learning about the ways and workings of God as I walk farther down the road with Him. I'm re-learning to trust Him and give Him the benefit of the doubt. He has judged me in Christ and found me innocent (though guilty) ---- I'm trying to learn not to judge Him so quickly. He may just be applying the Ibex scheme of things to me and my life and my ministry.

Well, I think I made it through this lesson without being too vulgar or profane. By the way, in the King James Version of the Old Testament --- acacia wood is called shittim wood. I'm not kidding. Time to quit.

No comments: